Since 1971 Cosmetic Laboratories of America (CLA) has been formulating and packaging some of the most trusted and familiar brands in the world. It is the birthplace of household names such as St. Ives skin care and Nexxus hair care formulas, as well as a long list of successful Custom Label products for multinational and domestic corporations.
Leveraging the strength of our parent company, Visual Pak Co., CLA has access to nearly a dozen sister operations across North America.
1971 Cosmetic Laboratories of America founded
1975 Developed MillCreek hair care line of products infused with botanicals
- • The beginning of today’s Naturals.
1980 Developed & Launched St. Ives Line
- “Today St. Ives products have a presence globally in over 100 countries, and women all over the world love its flagship product Apricot Scrub. In the UK, as in many other countries St. Ives Scrubs are the No. 1 Scrub brand*.” – *Source: IRI Data Sept 2011
1982 MillCreek sold to Richardson Vick (now Procter & Gamble)
1985 NEXXUS formulas developed at CLA’s Laboratory with legendary Jheri Redding* teaming with CLA’s chemists
- *Jheri Redding: Hair stylist, entrepreneur, founder of Jheri Redding Products in 1956, co-founder of Redken in 1960, Jhirmack in 1968, and NEXXUS in 1979.
1987 CLA & St. Ives went public as St. Ives (SIV.L)
1996 CLA & St. Ives acquired by Alberto Culver (now Unilever)
2010 Alberto Culver & CLA acquired by Unilever
- • Privately held company founded in 1983. “Your single source for contract manufacturing & packaging solutions.”
- • Today CLA continues to thrive as a leading innovator in in the personal care industry.